Remember to submit your entry into our Commemoration Day Crossword Competition!
All entries must be submissed by 12 noon Friday 30th October, 2020.
Celebrate Commemoration Day by testing your Somerville history knowledge! All correct entries sent by OGA members will be placed in the draw to win a selection of OGA merchandise.
1. The building where the first classes where held when the school was established in 1899 (7,4,10)
4. One of the fields of study for Mary Somerville (scientist for whom the school is now named) (9)
7. The family from whom the current school site was purchased (8)
8. The position of the Old Girl who played in the Ashes for Australia (6)
11. Maiden surname of the Old Girl who was the first female journalist in New Guinea in WWII (8)
12. Surname of the Old Girl artist with a passion for still life especially cornflowers (5)
13. Favourite children’s book title by an Old Girl author (5,2,1,6).
15. Married surname of the Old Girl politician who has just been surpassed by Bronwyn Bishop as the longest servicing female politician in Australian parliament (8)
17. Surname of a foundation student who became one of the first nurse to serve in WW1 (5)
18. Name of the debut album of the aria award winning Indie group including Old Girl siblings (5,4)
20. First name and married surname of the President of the OGA who led the protest to prevent the sale of the school in 1987 (6,5)
22. First name and surname of the Old Girl who became a renowned marine biologist specializing in the Great Barrier Reef and plankton in Australian waters (6,7)
2. The name of the home purchased for boarders when the school moved to its current location (11)
3. The name of the site the school moved to circa 1912 (7)
5. Title of the song by Indie group featuring an Old Girl as the drummer (7,2,4,4)
6. Surname of the Old Girl who became the founding Principal of Clayfield College (7)
9. First name and surname of the founder of the school and first president of the OGA (5,7)
10. First male Principal of the school who referred to himself as headmaster (3,5)
14. Birthplace of Mary Somerville (8)
16. Acronym. The space agency where the Old Girl who is leading the rover mission to Mars works (4)
17. The book of the bible from where the illustration on the school badge is taken (6)
19. Acronym. The original name of the school (4)
21. Maiden surname of the first female doctor to graduate from the school (5)
How to enter:
- Prize entries are open to OGA members, however all members of the school community are invited to test their knowledge and complete the crossword!
- All entries are to be received by 12 noon Friday 30/10/2020 either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post PO BOX 3878 South Brisbane 4101.
- All correct entries (sent by OGA members) will be placed in the draw to win a selection of merchandise. The first name drawn out will be the winner.
- No correspondence will be entered into by the committee.
Thank you to Pretoria Bilinski (Class of 1987) for preparing this crossword!